Many people don’t give much thought to the flag or flagpole they choose until they have it installed and it doesn’t work out the way they planned. Many don’t take into consideration the size of the flagpole they purchase and the size of the flag they wish to fly from that flagpole.
There are many details to consider before you buy a flag and flagpole. You need to decide if the flagpole will be affixed to the side of a home or if it will be in-ground.
Following are some tips to make sure that our American Flag is set up to freely wave in the wind and properly honor our country.
Choosing the Right American Flag
There are a wide range of sizes of American Flags. There are handheld flags that you often see people waving during parades or decorating their yards and flowerbeds, and then there are more permanent flags used to adorn individual homes and businesses.
It is important to choose the right size American Flag. Below are some tips to follow.
How Do You Know What Size to Choose?
The first thing to understand is the different flag sizes. The most common-sized American Flag for home use is 3 feet by 5 feet (3 feet in height and 5 feet in width). But there are some other sizes that people choose as well.
Many people don’t understand that choosing the improper flag can shorten the longevity of the flagpole and the flag. Understanding the different size flags and which is best for your scenario can make your flag look great longer with less wear.
One thing to consider before you purchase your flag is where you will fly it from. Some people fly their American flag from a wall mount on the front of the house. The rule of thumb for this measurement is that the flagpole should be twice the width of the flag. So, a 3×5 foot flag should be on a 6-foot flagpole. With this ratio, the flag will cover about half of the flagpole.
Most residential in-ground flagpoles are 20-foot flagpoles, and they should fly either a 3×5-foot long flag or a 4×6-foot flag. Those are the two most common sizes for 20-foot flagpoles for residential use.
Most Common-Sized American Flags for Home Use
American Flags come in a wide variety of sizes, so it is wise to consider what size you prefer to fly.
- A 3’x5′ American flag is a very popular size as it is well-suited for both homes and small commercial buildings. This size flag is similar in size to a 60″ TV, so it is an excellent option for hanging on an outside wall as well.
- 2’x3′ American Flags are a good option for those with smaller homes. They are smaller than the 3’x5′ flags and can be flown from a 5′ flagpole. These are usually chosen for those in apartments, condos, manufactured homes, smaller homes, and individual businesses.
- 4’x6′ American Flags are sometimes used at homes, but they usually require a 20′ to 25′ in-ground flagpole. They can be seen most often in large, stately homes but more frequently in professional establishments.
We find that most large-size American Flags are used for outside commercial displays and in public areas, such as post offices and other government buildings. Smaller flags are more suitable for home use. Part of the reason for this is larger flags must have specifically designed flagpoles that can withstand the power of the flag waving during heavy winds.
Why Is It Important to Choose the Right Size Flag and Flagpole?
If you want to make sure your flag proudly waves for years to come, you need to invest in the right flagpoles. Remember, the larger the flag, the larger the flagpole. You will need a strong flagpole to handle a big flag and keep it looking good for years to come. Heavy-duty flagpoles can extend the life of your flag and keep it looking good with very little maintenance.
Here are some reasons why investing in the proper flagpole is important:
- It will increase the lifespan of your flag: Most homeowners want to have a flagpole and flag installed and not have to think about replacing it any time soon. Some flagpoles have telescoping abilities, making it easy to set up the flag and take it down when necessary. Strong flagpoles are often made of anodized aluminum, which enables the pole to bend during heavy winds. The last thing you want is a flagpole that will tip over during inclement weather and could cause possible damage to the home or surrounding areas.
- Little or No Maintenance: Once you have your American Flag in place, most property owners don’t want to do a lot of maintenance on it. This is why so many choose a telescoping flagpole made from corrosion-resistant aluminum, which is stronger than steel and can hold up to the elements.
- Added Curb Appeal: Many people don’t realize that having a beautiful flag in front of their property can add to its curb appeal. Many have their flags proudly waving during the day and then install a flag light that will illuminate the flag after sundown. This keeps the flag in the spotlight long after dark.
- Hold Up in Inclement Weather: One of the things to consider before you invest in a flagpole is how it will hold up in the elements. Those who choose wood or other materials may find they need to replace the flagpole once every couple of years. Those made from aluminum can stand up to the most brutal weather, and they are corrosive resistant, so they will last longer than many other types.
- Show Your Patriotism: Most people who hang a flag on their property want to show the patriotism they have for our country. Many vets, families of veterans, and many public servants insist on having flags on their property to show what they have worked and fought for. What a great reminder of what others have given to protect our freedom.
It doesn’t matter why you choose to fly an American Flag; as a free land, we have the right to honor our country. Choosing the right products makes that easier to do. Click here to find out more about durable flagpoles and their importance from Flagpole Farm.