In 2022, global sales of EV cars surpassed 10 million and are expected to increase by 35% in 2023, reaching 14 million. This projection indicates that the number of EV owners is growing rapidly. However, before purchasing an EV, people consider multiple factors, including the availability of charging infrastructure in their area. This is also a concern for drivers embarking on long trips or moving to a new region.
Fortunately, this comprehensive guide will make this task much easier. It will explore simple ways to locate EV charging stations near you with Electrly, You will also learn more about public, workplace, and residential chargers. Without further ado, let’s get going.
How To Find Nearby EV Charging Stations
Numerous web platforms maintain a map of EV chargers globally or regionally. While Google and Apple Maps may work, they are less comprehensive than other resources.
1. Electrly – The Most Comprehensive EV Charger Locator
Electrly is a company based in China that specializes in manufacturing and supplying a host of EV charging products. They export power modules, Level 1 & 2 AC chargers, DC fast chargers, and more EV charging solutions to over 30 countries across the globe.
Electrly chargers are suitable for personal and commercial EV charging and are designed to offer optimum safety. An in-house quality control lab guarantees their quality, ensuring they are robust and durable. The products are also priced competitively, and there are no markup fees since Electrly sells without brokers.
In addition, Electrly runs and regularly updates a detailed EV charger locator on their website, enabling you to find charging stations near you easily. It provides information such as the charging station’s coordinates, the type of charger available, the station’s contacts, charging speed, and the fees required.
The map hosts all kinds of charging stations accessible to the public, whether free or premium. You can find Tesla superchargers, Level 1 & 2 AC chargers, and DC fast chargers through it. The site categorizes these charging points by state and area, making it effortless and quick to look them up.
2. Other Popular Websites And Apps For Finding EV Charging Stations
The following third-party websites and iOS/Android apps can help you find EV charging stations close to your location:
- Electrify America
3. Using In-Vehicle Navigation System
Tesla and 6th and 7th generation BMWs often have a charging locator feature preinstalled in the Nav system. For cars without the in-built locator on the infotainment system, install 3rd-party apps from Google Play. Operating them is straightforward, and they surely come in handy when needed.
- Routes are easier to follow from the car dashboard.
- Simpler to search for location when driving.
- Coordinates can be input from your phone.
- You can install multiple locator apps.
- It can distract one when driving.
- They sometimes have slow internet speed.
Overview Of The EV Charging Infrastructure
Public Charging Station Networks
Public EV charging networks refer to all-electric vehicle fueling points accessible to the general population. They function like traditional gas stations and are the most popular EV charging points after home chargers. There are over 130,000 public EV charging stations in America, expected to increase to cater to the rising demand. Companies like Tesla, Electrly, EVgo, and General Motors are committed to expanding these networks by leasing spaces or partnering with existing businesses like fast food chains or malls.
- Faster than home charging: Public EV chargers serve many and are incredibly faster than home chargers, saving you a lot of time.
- Easy accessibility: Most public EV charging points often have an easily accessible infrastructure and parking layout.
- Some are free: If you look thoroughly, you can find some public EV charging stations that are entirely free. However, they are few and far apart.
- Long waiting time: Since they operate on a first-come, first-served basis, you may often have to wait in line for your turn.
- Membership requirement: Some public EV charging stations require customers to pay subscription fees which can be inconvenient if you are just passing by.
Tips For Maximizing The Benefits Of Public Charging Stations
- Charge at off-peak hours: Consider visiting public EV chargers when fewer people will likely show up to avoid long queues and minimize time wastage.
- Check for unoccupied chargers prior: Take advantage of EV charger locators’ data to know about occupied or available charging spots in advance.
- Evaluate the compatibility: Knowing which charging point has connectors compatible with your vehicle before visiting a station.
Workplace And Residential Charging Options
Some residential places and office buildings offer EV charging services to tenants and clients. These services are often free but are limited to EV owners who work or live there. However, customers and visitors may be allowed to use them. Many of these use Level 2 chargers, while others have DC fast chargers. Also, they sometimes limit how much time one can charge their vehicle to offer equal access for all.
Benefits Of Workplace And Residential Charging
- Cost saving: Some offer free services, and even if they aren’t free, they tend to be cheaper than public or home charging.
- Convenience: Most people spend quite an adequate time at work or in their residences, enough to charge their cars fully.
- Minimal waiting time: You typically wait less than at a public EV charging station.
How To Find Workplace And Residential Charging Solutions
Since they are exclusive to residents, employees, and clients, these charging solutions are only accessible if you can access the premises. Also, many such services aren’t listed on EV charging station apps and websites. Property managers may add their details when advertising to attract potential tenants. Companies may also indicate this service to pull clients and attract talent. Thus, you can lease home or office space there or patronize a business that grants free or subsidized charging.
Community-Based EV Charging Initiatives
Community-based charging is when people in a particular area pool together resources to set up EV charging points for members. It is often a solution to areas where public charging needs to be improved. It is commonly initiated by local governments or the people themselves in multifamily residential areas, schools, parks, or townships.
Benefits Of Community EV Charging Programs
A community EV charging program revolutionizes the lives of members as follows:
- Increased access to EV chargers: Communal chargers eliminate the need to drive to public stations and encourage EV purchases in that region.
- Local support: These programs are often backed by grants from installers, local governments, and even EV manufacturers.
- Cheaper charging: Although the drivers are billed for charging to cater for maintenance and running costs, the cost is often affordable.
Examples of Community Charging Programs and How to Get Involved
Communities In Charge in California, Charge Up Michigan, and Communities Charging for Change are examples of community-based charging initiatives. Joining these programs requires a financial contribution and may require users to live in a particular neighborhood. EV owners can be charged a monthly maintenance fee if usage is free. Communities can sign up for grants or financial support from local governments or EV solution providers that offer support.
1. Are There EV Charging Stations For Individuals With Disabilities?
Despite the increased EV charging stations, only 10% or less are accessible to people with disabilities. This is because some parking spaces are unsuitable for disabled people or the charging cable is too high to reach. Unfortunately, EV charging apps do not indicate the suitability of charging stations, so the less fortunate drivers are better off personally mapping out charging points that are accessible.
2. How To Plan Long-Distance Trips When Driving An Electric Vehicle?
The ideal way to avoid getting stranded with an empty battery on the road is to use route planning via an EV travel planning app or the car’s navigation system. It helps monitor your battery so you know how much range you have left and can locate nearby charging stations and display pricing information. Furthermore, some apps let you know if the chargers available are compatible with your EV model.
3. What’s The Best Way To Have A Seamless EV Ownership?
As an EV driver, the following points will enhance your charging experience:
- Know your car’s charging connector type.
- Download and use EV charging apps.
- Carry your portable charger.
- Precondition your EV before charging.
- Avoid charging over 80% for longer battery life.
- Fuel at off-peak hours.
- Avoid driving with a charge of less than 15%.
4. How Do I Know The Ideal EV Charging Station Locator?
Not all online platforms are reliable, as some provide inaccurate details. This criterion ensures you select the ideal platform:
- Exhaustive data: Find genuine EV charging station locators with detailed data about charging stations, such as their working hours and precise coordinates.
- App fees: Not all EV locator websites and apps are free. Some require a subscription before you can access their services.
- Types of EV charging connectors: EV connectors vary by country, car model, charging station, and charging level. Thus, ensure you prioritize compatibility.
- Charger levels visibility: Choose an EV locator displaying all levels of chargers in your location. Certain platforms only show fast-level or level 2 chargers.
- Security: Look for websites and apps that are safe and secure to use. Check other users’ reviews and feedback to know what you are getting into.
EV charging stations’ accessibility is key to sustaining electric vehicles. Thus, you must use resourceful platforms to map out your routes, especially if you are planning on a long drive. For the most convenience, I recommend using Electrly as it has the most comprehensive EV charging stations locator, which includes Tesla’s supercharger network. As more and more charging points are set up, Electrly will continue to update its map accordingly.
Moreover, if you want a home charging station or set up a commercial one, Electrly is your trusted and reliable partner. Check out their EV charging products to get the best value for money and experience the utmost professionalism in the EV chargers industry. They supply quality products at the most competitive prices in the market.