Teaching English as a foreign language is a great way to experience different cultures abroad and travel while making a positive impact on students’ lives. However, to excel in this field, one needs to have some level of training and certification. It’s where TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification comes in handy. Earning a TEFL Certification shows you have the necessary skills to teach English to non-native speakers and will help you stand out from the competition when seeking English teaching positions abroad. In this article, we’re going to explore why obtaining TEFL certification is necessary and how it can help you in your career.
- Increased job opportunities – Having a TEFL certificate will increase your chances of finding an English teaching position abroad as many schools and institutions abroad require their ESL teachers to hold some form of qualification. Some countries, such as Japan and South Korea, make it a visa requirement for teachers to hold a TEFL certificate. It’s important to note that having a TEFL certificate does not guarantee that you will find a job abroad, but it certainly makes the process of finding one more comfortable.
- Improved teaching skills – A TEFL certification course will teach you the essential pedagogical skills you need to teach English to non-native speakers successfully. This certification program covers everything from language awareness, classroom management, lesson planning, and student assessment. This training ensures that you will have the necessary skills to provide quality education to your students and make a positive impact on their lives.
- Boosted confidence – Obtaining a TEFL certificate can increase your confidence when teaching English abroad. You will have the necessary skills to provide quality education to your students and the confidence that comes with knowing you are capable of providing excellent instruction to students from different backgrounds.
- Higher pay – Having a TEFL certificate can help you negotiate for higher pay rates when teaching English abroad. Many institutions will offer higher pay rates to teachers who hold a TEFL certificate and received high scores in their course.
- More opportunities for career advancement – Earning a TEFL certificate can open up more opportunities for career advancement, such as progressing into management roles or specializing in specific areas of English teaching, such as TOEFL, Business English, or Young Learners. Having a TEFL certificate can also help you demonstrate your commitment to the English teaching profession and your desire to continue learning and improving.
Obtaining a TEFL certificate is necessary if you want to teach English abroad successfully. It’s not only essential for increasing your chances of finding a job, but it also helps you develop the necessary pedagogical skills needed to provide quality instruction to students. The benefits of obtaining a TEFL certificate extend beyond simply finding a job abroad; it can help you negotiate for higher pay rates and provide long-term opportunities for career advancement. So, if you’re considering teaching English as a foreign language, then obtaining a TEFL certificate should be a priority.